Thursday, May 26, 2011

Recent Projects

There's a saying that 'A bird feathers its nest year by year'. Well I've been trying to make that my mantra when I get impatient about lack of progress on the house but something happened when we hit the one year mark of being here and I kicked it into gear on some little projects that have been nagging at me. So here are some things I finished in little naptime increments over the last month or so.

Our seeds survived the never ending winter indoors and found a place in our long overdue veggie garden. our crab apple tree was gorgeous this year too. I think we'll have to learn how to make crab apple jelly!
















My helper watering in our little babies. (No kid-sized watering can for her!)

















Pulling wagon of herbs to add to the garden uphill by herself:






















Just to make more work for myself I fell in love with this Marimekko print and made it into a duvet cover. It has the cutest mini pompom border. The back story on the print is that the animals escaped from the zoo and went shopping in the city. Iris likes that they have boots as it reminds her of when she got boots at the mall when Jeff was looking for boots but didn't find any. This always cracks her up - go figure? Still want to do a fabric covered headboard someday...






















Iris' collage wall finally up after we painted the room periwinkle. Still considering red closet doors (Jeff thinks I'm crazy).

















Window seat with curtains (a Pottery Barn splurge) to make a reading nook (sorry for the bad lighting as we've had rainstorms like EVERY day). Still needs a seat cushion and front-facing book shelves for easy access. Iris loves to pull the curtains closed and hide out in here. I'm sure this will be her perch when she is texting her friends in code in a few years. She got the smaller room than Miles' because I immediately fell in love with this room as a girls room the first time we looked at the house. Exciting to see her use it as I imagined. Note this is literally the first time she has been in the window seat since falling from it when we first moved in.























The before of Miles' free bookshelf from Teri:























The after with $5 of contact paper I spied at Target that matches the room:

1 comment:

Clare Contemplates Madeleine's Musings said...

Great stuff!! I love what you're done. : )