Iris made a reading breakthrough! A few weeks ago she read a sign in the parking garage "Do Not Back". She couldn't see the last word "In" from the vantage point of her car seat. Recognizing symbols on signs has been a favorite hobby in the car for some time. "Do Not Enter!" is routinely screamed from the backseat.
She has also been seemingly reading many of our regular books but since she memorizes them fairly quickly we got a bunch of beginner reader books at the library last week. And sure enough, she immediately plopped herself down with them on the floor and read through about 10 of them without even sounding out the letters and only needed help with a few words. So of course I had to get the camera to capture it:
I know early reading is kind of discouraged but the kid has just always LOVED letters and books and sort of figured it out on her own. When she doesn't nap but has quiet time in her room and she looks at piles of books and I think that started putting it all together.
She seems pretty nonchalant about it but at times little prideful smiles shine through.
She has also been seemingly reading many of our regular books but since she memorizes them fairly quickly we got a bunch of beginner reader books at the library last week. And sure enough, she immediately plopped herself down with them on the floor and read through about 10 of them without even sounding out the letters and only needed help with a few words. So of course I had to get the camera to capture it:
I know early reading is kind of discouraged but the kid has just always LOVED letters and books and sort of figured it out on her own. When she doesn't nap but has quiet time in her room and she looks at piles of books and I think that started putting it all together.
She seems pretty nonchalant about it but at times little prideful smiles shine through.
No comments:
Post a Comment