Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Chair Love!

So you may not know this but I have been looking for some cool dining room chairs for what seems like ever.  I've been trolling Craigslist almost daily and always nothing.  But get this, while Jeff was out of town on a business trip I got out of my normal routine of checking.  But one night just before heading to bed I logged onto Craigslist and found a post for 8 vintage Herman Miller dining chairs for $350!  I almost fell off the couch.  It is hard enough to come across a vintage set let alone 8.  The post was from two days before and I was just sure that they would already be gone.  I was so excited a emailed Jeff some pics and called him to see if he liked them too.  He did and so I rattled off a late night email to the seller giving them my phone number to call me the next day.

I didn't know how I would get them being by myself with both kids but I thought I'd figure it out later.  I went to bed with my cell phone on my nightstand so as not to miss an early morning call but the morning came and went and no call.  I e-mailed them again just in case but kinda figured I had missed out.  Then around noon I got the call that they were still available and to top it off the seller was only 10 minutes away between our house and Jeff's mom's.  So I said I'd be over in half an hour not really knowing how I would swing it.  As luck turned out Doff and Grandma were home and I zoomed the kids over for an unplanned little babysit.  The chairs were in rougher condition than I expected but I just couldn't leave them as I knew I'd be kicking myself afterwards, cause that's what I do.  So I got him down to $300 for all of them and somehow loaded all eight in the car with carseats in place.  I got them home then got the kids.  Thanks Doff and Grandma I owe you!!

Look past the ugly fabric and broken caning...

To the sexy George Nelson designed lines.

This one with the broken leg and caning needs the most love. 
For the time being the four best ones got a quicky pillowcase seat cover-up and a good cleaning.  The others are in the basement awaiting some restoration work.

Here's a possible after, the same chairs all gussied up that I found online covered in an awesome Knoll ultrasuede.

A close up cause I couldn't resist.  I know I'm a dork!

No comments: